Welcome to the new class of 2017
We had unprecedented interest in the NSMC internship and we had to sift through many qualified applicants to produce this fine cohort.
- Cathy Quinlan (@KidneyCathy), Pediatric nephrologist from Victoria, Australia.
- Omar Enrique Taco Sánchez (@Errantnephron), Nephrology attending from Spain.
- Amit Langote (@LangoteAmit), Nephrology attending in Mumbai, India.
- Xingxing Cheng (@CunningBeans), Nephrology fellow at Stanford.
- Nathaniel Reisinger (@Nephrothaniel), Nephrology fellow at Penn, soon to start a clinical ultrasound fellowship.
- Annabel Biruete (@anniebelch), PhD student in nutritional science with an interest in renal nutrition at the University of Illinois.
- Karthik Ramani (@Happy_Kidney), Nephrology attending in Ohio.
- Bea Concepcion (@BeaCon2004), Nephrology attending at Vanderbilt in Tennessee.
- Gates Colbert (@DoctorGates), Nephrology attending Dallas, Texas.
- Venessa Grubbs (@thenephrologist), Nephrology attending at UCSF, San Francisco, California
- Fatima Ali (@shewantsthedo), Medical student, (MS2). University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Pablo Garcia (@PabloGarciaMD), Internal medicine resident. Saint Peter's University Hospital, New Jersey.
What is this?
The Nephrology Social Media Collective (NSMC) internship was established in 2015 with the goal of training doctors to communicate effectively through social media. The ability to define your personal online identity is a core competency of the future.
The NSMC internship will give you modern communication skills that will not be taught at the hospital.
The NSMC Internship provides repeated opportunities to practice nephrology social media. We also provide mentorship, discussion, guidance and direction. The faculty pushes the boundaries of traditional social media through the use of games, polls, audio, and video.
An important part of the curriculum will be learning about and demonstrating professionalism in the use of social networks and media.
The Inaugural 2015 Class
- Nikhil Shah was nephrology fellow at the University of Alberta in Canada during the internship. He has joined the ranks of NephJC and is currently a home hemodialysis fellow at the University of Alberta. He currently blogs at Nephrology Tweetbook and tweets from dr_nikhilshah. He is also a member of the NephMadness editorial team.
- Chi Chu was an internal medicine intern at California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco, CA during the internship and will begin his nephrology fellowship at the University of California San Francisco. He tweets from CdChu.
- Scherly Leon was a nephrology fellow at SUNY Downstate Medical Center during the internship and is currently an attending. She is working with NephJC and tweets at SLeonMD. She is on the ASN Media and Communications Committee.
- Hector Madariaga was a nephrology fellow at SUNY Upstate Medical University Hospital during the internship and has completed a transplant fellowship and is an attending in Boston. He Tweets at HecMagsMD and a member of the NephJC team. He was recently named to the International Society of Nephrology Social Media Task Force.
The Class of 2016
- Dearbhla Kelly is a nephrology fellow in Dublin, Ireland. You can follow her on Twitter @DearbhlaKelly4. She is on the NephJC team.
- Kamran Boka is a pulmonary critical care attending at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. You can follow him on Twitter @drbokaPulmCC. Check out his App BokasNotes.com.
- Helen Currier is a nephrology nurse and director of renal and pheresis in Houston Texas. Her Twitter account is @hxcurrier.
- Silvi Shah was a transplant fellow at the University of Alabama, Birmingham during the internship. She is currently an assistant professor at the University of Cincinnati. She Tweets @silvishah. She is now now on Team NephJC and is on the NephMadness editorial team. Silvi is also a member of the International Society of Nephrology Social Media Task Force.
- Khrram Mehtabdin is a nephrology fellow at Northwell Health System in New York. He Tweets @KhurramKidney.
- Noah Kline is a medical student in Detroit Michigan. He Tweets @NoahKline.
- Benjamin Stewart is an Internal Medicine Resident in Cambridge, UK. He tweets @drbstewart. He has also joined NephJC.
The NSMC Faculty
- Joel Topf
- Swapnil Hiremath
- Matthew A. Sparks
- Paul Phelan
- Tom Oates
- Edgar Lerma
- Jordan Weinstein
- Joshua Schwimmer
- Kenar Jhaveri
- Scherly Leon
- Nikhil Shah
- Hector Madariaga
- Chi Chu
- Timothy Yau
- Ali Poyan Mehr
- Dearbhla Kelly
- Kamran Boka
- Helen Currier
- Silvi Shah
- Khurram Mehtabdin
- Noah Kline
- Benjamin Stewart
- Michelle Rheault